Thursday, August 18, 2016

Edwin Lacierda's letter to Leila De Lima


· 12 hrs · 


Reposting Edwin Lacierda's letter to Leila De Lima. I agree with it 1000%! 
Dear Leila,

"x x x.

I know how deeply offended you are that one as high as the president would go so low as to launch an ill-concealed personal attack against you. I would have expected the president, speaking before our policemen and women, to defend his policy on the war on drugs, instead he lets loose a cannon of personal tirade against you.


Maybe this is the new ethics that pervades our land. Change has come, among others, where women are insulted, or threatened or made a subject of personal canard. I wonder if this is the attitude that we will accord our womenfolk from hereon. I wonder if our fellow countrymen would approve disrespect to women or again justify this as his demeanor.

This vacuum of respect is not the first time it has happened. It has been uttered regarding a dead female Australian missionary, to the female presiding Chief Justice, and now to you, a sitting female Senator of the Republic. That you are in good company Is the only charitable thing I can say.

Leila, just remember what Michelle Obama uttered in the Philadelphia DNC Convention--"when they go low, we go high."

Respect and decency are all we hope for and I pray these virtues do not go the way of the dinosaurs. Keep strong, just do your job.

In closing, there are two things I wish to remind you: always remember I described you, along with COA Chair Grace Tan and Ombudsman Chit Carpio Morales as "The Three Furies" and therefore, however difficult your task is, you have a responsibility to always fight for the people and for the law.

And second, let me part by leaving with you a quote from the Iron Lady, Margaret Thatcher - "I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left."

Keep the faith!

Edwin Lacierda.

x x x."